Mobile usage is increasing and overtaking the desktop
As per the special report "Digital 2016" by We are Social, mobile devices are undoubtedly changing the way people are consuming online information and websites. Whether it is social media, chatting with friends, online shopping, paying for products and services directly, people's connected behaviour has changed dramatically.
This is why it is very important to consider how we engage with our user to offer the best online experience for our products and services.
When mobile phones first started to become internet enabled and "smart", many businesses opted for a "mobile" version of their website. These sites are completely separate from the original website and the content is only a toned down version. Mobile websites also don't adapt to all the different screen sizes and devices. Next to that we have to design, build and manage two separate websites which means additional time and costs.
With responsive website design for your website you can cater for all users and screen sizes with only the one site.
What does responsive design mean?
It basically means, that the website has been developed to ensure that the structure, content and images remain the same on any device and screen size. On a big desktop the user can see the whole width of the site and on a tablet or mobile phone the site will retract to fit accordingly.
Benefits of responsive website design
- Improved ranking and SEO - Google loves responsive websites which was confirmed by Google's Pierre Farr way back in 2012.
- Improved conversion rate - a responsive website will increase your conversion rate, because it will be a easier for a user on tablet or mobile phone to convert. With responsive design you can control how and where all the "call-to-action" elements can be displayed on any device.
- Improved user experience - being mobile friendly your user will not have to zoom into your content or images as the the site will automatically adjust to the screen and the content will be easier to read. Also the navigation around the site and the ways to connect with you will be straight forward.
- Better value and more cost effective - although it takes longer to design and to develop, responsive websites will live longer. The management, support and upgrades for a responsive website can be done in one place as you only have to work on one site which will save time and money.
- Future proof - responsive website work well across the market and devices and will definitely do so for a considerable time to come
By opting for a responsive website, you will offer your clients a beautiful optimised experience regardless of the device they are currently using. You will also expand the reach of your services and the chances of engaging with your user.
Therefore responsive web design is not a trend, but a must.